Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Smoothie and a Design Wall

This morning I needed to run some errands. One was to take paperwork to the FSA (Farm Service Agency).  Two blocks away is my absolute favorite coffee shop.  It is called Alley Cats. They have the greatest panini's,  lattes,  chai tea, etc. and smoothies-to die for!!!!!! Their raspberry lemon is the best. So I couldn't resist being that close without stopping for a smoothie!



Thank you to my blogging friends who suggested using a tablecloth!   I didn't realize a design wall was as close as my picnic basket and upstairs shelf.  I have several left from DS-2 and DIL-2's rehearsal picnic.  Tonight I tacked them to an upstairs wall and set out the quilt.  It is going to help see where I have placed the blocks and squares and where to rearrange them.  The hall isn't wide enough to take a photo straight on so I had to stand in a doorway to take the picture from an angle.  Once my sewing room is ready there is a wall that will work.

I have never tried to sew a quilt that is sewn on the diagonal.  It may be interesting.  I am going to find a spot and table  to move my sewing machine upstairs.  I may run down to Menards ( our equivalent to a Home Depot/ Lowe's) 25 miles away to look for a folding table.

Hmmm-There happens to be a quilt shop there--I may need to put the car on automatic pilot and see if it knows the way!


9 comments:

Janet said...

Sounds like a wonderful smoothie. I had an iced coffee last week that was a treat. :) I use a flannel backed tablecloth from the dollar store on my bedroom wall. I've also read about some batting covered styrofoam boards that work well to move easily, if you need to sew in your dining room. I thought that was a good idea to be able to move it from room to room. I'm headed to the FSA office in the morning. Love your quilt. I've never sewn diagnol blocks either. It's always fun to try new things. Good luck with the sewing.

Candace said...

Your design tablecloth looks like it is doing a great job. I have only done one quilt sewn diagonally and that was my Orange Crush from Bonnie Hunter's mystery. She made it pretty easy. I don't know if I would have had the courage otherwise, lol. Your quilt looks great.

Marla said...

Blueberry pomegranate is my favorite, but I'll have to try the raspberry lemon--never had that one before. :) Your quilt looks beautiful--as always.

Maria said...

Oh I wish I could have joined you at that lovely looking cafe.
WOW the quilt looks great on your design wall.I also have not made a diagonal quilt but have on wiating in one of my UFO boxes.
Those geese sure did strip that field.Not good.

Amy said...

Oooo...those fabrics realllllly are fun to look at! This quilt is going to be stunning!!! The on-point layout (technical name for diagonal ;0) ) is such a great design element for many quilts; and I'm sure you will tackle this new challenge just fine.

And, I've never been to Alley Cats, so thanks for the plug.

scraphappy said...

Your diagonal setting is looking great. It is a little more fussy to get it to fit together, but it is a great look. Glad the tablecloth idea worked out.

Beth said...

congrats on your design wall! Being able to 'audition' my fabrics was an 'ahHA' moment for me. Never again to be design wall-less! I love your blog...I found you from bitnbyaquiltingbugs' blog. I will be back!

Linda said...

Looks good. Working on the diagonal is not my favorite thing to do but it can really add to a dull quilt. I cannot do a quilt 'on point' without a design wall. I really like your fabric...hugs, Linda

Tracy said...

Your quilt is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see it finished!
I've not been able to sew in my almost done room, son#2 took the AC from there and it's too hot.