Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Blankie repair and other Wednesday highlights!




DIL-1 asked if I would mend/ patch Princess Kasey's "blankie".  It is almost completely falling apart.  It was tearing around the binding .  I had the princess select fabrics from a stack.  She wanted the pink polka dots.  I used six inch strips.  Sewing about one inch on the top and folding over the remainder to sew where it was falling apart. I had to stop sewing twice so she could hold it. It's far from perfect--but may give a few more months of life to blankie!


At 2  1/2 she loves being a girl!  She wants to wear dresses all the time! Even when riding the 4-Wheeler with daddy or papa to help fix fence.  I brought down the bouncing zebra for Tatum to ride.  Kasey decided she wasn't too big to ride it!! She has blankie on for a saddle!

Since I am still doing my sewing at the dining room table--and putting it away and taking it out,  I was constantly looking to see where I had put things away.  My "sis" has a pampered chef turnabout in her sewing room.  I thought it seemed like a great idea--and definitely works for  me.  Most of the things I need are within reach.           

Eighty blocks are sewn and trimmed for my newest project.  The pattern suggests, "It may be helpful to arrange setting triangles pieced squares and cream squares on a design surface before assembling ." The quilt size is 58" X 58".  Is there a quick and easy design surface that works for you?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Well, if you have a spare wall, Angela suggested buying a simple $5.00 tablecloth from Walmart that has a flannel-type backing. That's what I put up and it works nicely! Otherwise....the floor is my surface of choice.

scraphappy said...

I second the tablecloth. It also has the added benefit of being able to be a tablecloth when not in use as a design wall. The blocks look great, is the pattern from Mary makes scrap quilts from stash?

Maria said...

Yep the tablecloth works for me too.
You have done a great job mending blankie too.

Candace said...

I just bought some flannel and hemmed it, made buttonholes on the top and hung it on the removeable hooks.
Kasey is a cutie, and the pampered chef turnabout is a great idea.

Linda said...

I agree with the tablecloth. When you are finished and need to clean up quickly. You can leave your blocks attached and just fold it up and whisk it away, the blocks will be ready for the next time. I used this a while before my hubby made me a portable design wall. You can also use batting but the tablecloth is cheaper.