When Peg (friend, sister, college forever friend) was here this spring she made the comment--"Why don't you clear off this spot and sew here?" At that time it was covered with stuff that had no place else to go. That included the drawers and shelves. My immediate response was it wasn't deep enough for sewing quilts.
It took me trying to figure out how to set up a sewing room, what to buy to put my machine on, where do I put my supplies, etc. To suddenly look at this counter and think--"Yeah, that would work." So I started moving things off the counter-(Christmas, Halloween, Easter decorations) and emptying out the cupboards. If you have lived in one house for 31 years you may know where I am going.
I found all of the years of 4-H record book pages from the boys--I threw the record pages-and kept the pictures. Found old Wilton cake pans--football, train, house, teddy bear--those I kept.
I am still working on organizing--I will post more pictures as I go.
These are the cabinets on the opposite side at the top of the stairs. I will start going through them and decide what needs to be saved and what I can throw. Currently it is part linen closet. There are boxes & boxes of farm records, books, board games, and lots more.
It is a long range goal--but just may work.
Have a great day--God Bless,
Linda
7 comments:
I haven't been in my house nearly as long as you, but it is amazing how much stuff accumulates. One drawer or cabinet at a time it's all getting a good look through. I guess it didn't build up in a day, getting it organized isn't going to happen overnight either. Good luck with your long term project.
I'm beginning to look at my storage areas as places for current items and NOT as long-term storage (think decades) for items that could have been pitched five years ago. I'm cleaning house! And tossing! And loving the new space. Go for it!
Looks AWESOME!! I think your depth of cupboard is same or close to mine. See At least you can get a good start. Won't have to take machine down all the time....that's the big plus!! Had Quilt guild tonight. Next fall or so when we get together one of the gals is going to help me learn how to square up blocks. No matter how I try I screw it up. One of these days I might actually learn how to quilt something, anything, heck a potholder would be good at this point. I don't think I will ever be a quilter....but give me a wedding gown and I will give you a heck of a baptism gown!! Love you. Peg
I have been in my house since 1985! So I do know what you mean about stuff accumulating! I have been trying to do a little at a time, but it can be overwhelming!
Your sewing area is looking good!
SheilaC
Looks like you have a great sewing area, and found a few treasures in the process. We have been in our house for over 20 years, but have moved out and back in once in that time, and it's amazing how things accumulate. I'm trying to get all my quilts in progress finished, and then I'm hoping to do a major reorganizing of my area. It is an ongoing process, isn't it. A lady on one of the forums said that unfinished quilts are closet clutter, and I looked at my cluttered closet and thought ah hah!
Oh the storage you have! And that looks like a great place to sew, lotsa room! But the storage!
We've been here since 1990. We moved from a mobile home and I've often wondered where I kept it all!
Hello Linda, you have great storage area...I only have a small cabinet and narrow cupboard for my sewing area.....love the colours you have used for Amys Bom...Regards, Lyn
Post a Comment