Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Making hay when the sun shines.

It is a another beautiful summer day in northern Wisconsin. 

After 7 years of drought we have had rain in June.    Before we sold the last of our dairy herd last year we would forage chop the first crop and put it in the silos to be fed as haylage to the cows.  Then second crop would be square baled and put in the dairy barn to be fed as dry hay to the dairy cows.   Now with the black angus beef cattle we round bale all the hay with the exception of a few loads we put in the "barn across the road" where we have young stock.   We also sell hay to other farmers and "horse people". 

We are totally John Deere famers!  When our middle son was learning his colors, he would name each color-however, when he came to green or yellow he would say, "John Deere."

There were a few comments made on our John Deere mailbox.  DH had purchased the mailbox in a pile of "Junk" (junk my term not DH's)  at a farm auction.  He pounded out the dents,  primed  and painted it with John Deere green spray paint.  He purchased decals for each side.  I thought it look fine.  Then with John Deere yellow he made swirls.  When I asked him why.  He said it was an original where no one would have one like it!


Since I was out with the camera--This is our home.  It is a 61 year old farm house built by my MIL & FIL.  We purchased the farm from them  in 1979.   About twenty years ago we put in new windows,  new siding and added on a new kitchen.  The window to the right is were I take the pictures for the "view from my kitchen window".  The dormer room upstairs is the room I am working on making into my sewing room.


I just realized our border collie, Jordie, posed in the two pictures!  He will be another story!!!!

7 comments:

Cindy said...

Thanks for giving us a little tour and information about the farm and of course your home.

WhiteStone said...

My brother grows hay ... and his efforts are as good as a rain dance. I don't think I could handle the stress! lol.

Love your rainbow view at the top of your blog.

Janet said...

I love how Jordie posed for the picture. :) The rain is such a blessing. I think this is the first year in a long time we won't have to scrounge to be sure and have enough hay. As a retired Postmaster, I love your mailbox. You can't imagine the crummy ones some people use forever. Your DH has alot of creative talent too. How cute that your son said "John Deere". It seems to be the favorite in our area too. We do have an older international that was my FILs--as you saw in one of my first photo. Thanks for sharing your farm and home.

Tracy said...

That's us all summer, making hay. And right now they're combining wheat. My grandson calls it the 'commie'. Most of our hay goes to the mushroom growers in eastern PA but we try to have some good feed hay when the weather cooperates!
But...we are blue tractor folks!

Anonymous said...

You would post Jordie.....my "evil enemy pal". The quilt is wonderful. Monica and Ellie are doing just great, Eric is just so happy.

Love your "Sis"

Amy said...

YES---another glorious day indeed! "Horse people"....love the quotes around it; we used to be "horse people" (more like Shetland pony people), but they ended up being too expensive (hay! during drought!!!) with little outcome (aka: nothing edible). ;0)

Hey--(no pun intended)
Been thinking about the quilting machine; as soon as you have a top ready, let me know! We'll set up something for you to come over and "play" to quilt it.

Have fun in the sun this weekend!

Maria said...

Thank you for the trip around your farm. Tell DH the mail box is great.Your house is gorgeous and what a lovely place to make into a sewing room. Lucky you.
Ah! I see Jordie too when I clicked on the photo.
Oh we also have a "John Deere" a ride on lawn mower. LOL DH says it's the best.