Sunday, July 22, 2012

My FIRST Granny Square

While hopping around the blogs of Red, White & Blue Hop, I noticed several quilters were working on Granny Squares.  There are several different tutorials on blog sites.  The one I tried was by Trish of Notes of Sincerity. This block is 6 1/2".

I was packing away the scraps from finishing the flimsy of  "Oh My Stars! Sampler." When I thought I would give the granny square a try.


Thank you to my blogger friends who made suggestions when I questioned including the center block in the quilt top.   I think it was Angela from So Scrappy who noticed the corner blocks would set off the four pointed star.


11 comments:

trish said...

Your quilt is so pretty and I love your little granny square. :0)

Janet said...

The quilt turned out very nice. I've been seeing a lot of Granny Squares too. I just may have to try one. I need a new block for my quilt hanger, so I'll need to make a 12 inch one.

Needled Mom said...

Very nice and I really like the cornerstones.

I need to jump on those granny squares too. I am loving seeing all of them.

Carrie P. said...

OOO! pretty in pink. well done!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your quilt is so pretty! Love pink! Your granny square is adorable. I love this size!

Marla said...

Looks great! Go to www.pleasant-home.com and see all the granny squares. There are pictures from a "granny square along." I think I'm going to make some of those for my next project.

Amy said...

Another amazing granny square :) I too have seen many around lately.
Lovely corner stones in the Star quilt too. It is a great addition to set off the center star square.

Maria said...

Yes there are a few different Granny Squares around. Really like your s..
I have made three 12" ones into a table runner.
Your wee star sample quilt looks lovely

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I am using Trish's tutorial to make Granny Squares, too, only I am making the larger 13" (ish) block. =)

Sharon said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your sampler quilt! Such beautiful soft fabric shades. The granny square is too cute!

FlourishingPalms said...

Those granny squares are fun, aren't they? I'm in the Great Granny Along being hosted by Jodie of Bee in My Bonnet. I enjoy making them.