Thursday, July 12, 2012

Welcome to the Red, White & Blue Blog Hop Day 12

Welcome to Beautiful Northern Wisconsin

This is my first experience as a hostess for a blog hop. 
 Thank you for stopping in to visit. 
I am thrilled to be part of the hop with so many talented and creative quilters.   My quilting is definitely not to the expert level.  I use my quilting as a way to clear my mind and relax at the end of the day.    This is my only true Red, White and Blue block. 

  
Through out the year I share the view from my kitchen window with my blogging friends.


I love Americana colors! 
 


I found the pattern for this block called, "Glory In Scraps" at Marcia Hohn Quilter Cache. The service woman in the picture is the daughter of the secretary at school.  Angela has served in Iraq and Afghanistan as a veterinarian caring for the dogs used by the service men and women. 
Glory in Scraps

My first attempt at applique! I have had a mental block with attempting applique.  This block is another Marcia Hohn's patterns, "Amerihearts At Home".  What is more could need than Stars & Stripes and  apple pie! I practiced FMQ to quilt stars on the background fabric.

Amerihearts At Home


I made a few changes to the "Folk Art Salute" which was designed by Kathy Flowers for the June/July 2012 McCall's Quick Quilts. My first applique went so well I was excited to try it again!
Folk Art Salute

Now for my giveaway, this sign was made to giveaway to one of my guests. 
It was created uniquely and provided for the Blog Hop by Steve and Susan of Scrap Happy Creations.  Leave a message for me that you stopped to visit on your way through the hop and let me know if you would like to have the sign for your quilting spot. I will draw on the last day of the hop.  I know the friends at Scrap Happy Creations would like you to visit them also!

 A special request for today, July 12, from me to you.  Please give your children or grandchildren a hug and tell them, or call or email to let  them know  you love them and how special they are to you!  Life can be short.
 Cherish each moment.

Thank you for stopping to visit.
Hop over to visit the other quilters posting today:
July 12th
Kim Sherrod Studio
Be sure to thank Jane and Madame Samm
 for coordinating this great time for all of us!

  Come again. I would like to get to know you!



109 comments:

JudyCinNC said...

Linda - you have outdone yourself with such beautiful blocks - and the props were perfect. Please include me in your draw - but do they ever pick the first commenter?
How have you been? JudyCnNC

Zuzan said...

Hi Linda
Thank you for sharing your part of the world with the RWB Hop. I really enjoyed seeing your work.

Sunshine Girl said...

Oh wow your quilts are all stunning and I love the view from your window. I read your sidebar as see that today is a special one for you - I dont know you but am sending hugs from across the sea. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Linda, Americana fabric is so appropriate for these blocks and looks so wonderful.
Your appliques are well done; another technique to file under "achieved". Please do add me to your giveaway as the sign is Wonderful.

Betsy said...

Linda, everything is fabulous!

Belinda said...

Oh Linda! Your blocks are just amazing and so inspirational. I'd really like to try making the flag inspired one and hang it by my late Dad's photo. He retired from the USMC after 20 years.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Beautiful blocks displayed in such a beautiful place. Love the view from your kitchen. Many hugs and thanks to Angela for her service to our country and for caring for the war critters.
xx

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Just a wonderful setting for all your pretty blocks! I think you did a super job in presenting them. Marcia's site is always a great fall back for me when stuck for a block. I took a bit of a spin around your block(blog) and a delight. Thank you for sharing with us today.

http://thankfullga447 said...

I am so glad you did this hop, your red white and blue is so admirable. Thanks for the giveaway.

Joyce said...

Your blocks were perfect and so patriotic. My son is a Capt. in the Army and I am making him a Quilt of Valor for Christmas...I may incorporate some of these. Hope I win the sign...I can see it hanging proudly in my sewing room! Thanks.

Teresa in Music City said...

Your blocks are just so much fun!!! I love the sign for your giveaway and can see it proudly displayed in my sewing studio :*)

Michele said...

Linda I like all your blocks. So perfect to honor the patriotic spirit. The sign would work well in my studio with my other ones.

Michele said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sparky said...

Stunning collection there Linda...you have done well for your first appliqué..you most certainly poured your heart and skills into making your day extra special...sew special, you may have to take a peak at sewwequilt.com

Sheila said...

Wonderful blocks and wonderful props as well , loved all of your work .I would be thrilled to win this great sign , thanks for the chance. I also thank you for your special request, we don't do that often enough. hugs Sheila

krislovesfabric said...

Nice job! Love all those blocks and the patriotic feel of them. Great job with your pics and the scenery!!That sign looks wonderful, it's so nice to hop with you!

Cecilia said...

Linda you did a great job with your appliqué. All of your blocks are gorgeous. I would love to be included in your giveaway. Thank you.

Charlene S said...

Appliqué is scary until you do the first 7! I am still on #5 so still in the scared stage. Yours are perfect! I love that sign.

Chris said...

Hi Linda,
Wow.....you were really ambitious with all those great blocks. I would love to have your sign over the door to my sewingroom.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Loved all your blocks you did such a good job!!

Renea said...

Love your blocks. They are sew pretty. I would love to hang this sign in my sewing area. Thank you for the chance to have the sign sent to my home.

Renea said...

Love your blocks. They are sew pretty. I would love to hang this sign in my sewing area. Thank you for the chance to have the sign sent to my home.

Maria said...

Linda all your Red White and Blue blocks look fabulous..
Always enjoy the view from your kitchen window..
My DH was a Dog Handler in Vietnam..
Just had a lovely long chat with my DD2.
The sign would look great in my cave. Thank you for a chance to win your great giveaway Linda.

JudyC said...

Hi from Green Bay, WI!! Love your RWB blocks, and your photos were perfect!!! I would love to have that sign board hanging right here where I could see it every day.

JudyC said...

Hi from Green Bay, WI!! Love your RWB blocks, and your photos were perfect!!! I would love to have that sign board hanging right here where I could see it every day.

Truffle queen said...

Beautiful blocks! Love the setting - northern Wisconsin is truly beautiful! That sign would look PERFECT in my quilting room! I'm a follower and now I'm off to the sign makers!! Thans for sharing and for the chance to win!

beaquilter said...

lovely blocks and table runner! and I read on your bio, you lost a son- so sorry :-(
and THAT sign, LOVE it!!! that is SO cool, if I don't "win" it, your friend should sell more of them, I'd be interested...

Loves to Quilt said...

Wonderful blocks! I love your little table runner and would love your SIGN. Very cute!

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

What a wonderful post! I loved reading and seeing all your blocks. Thank you for sharing.

Linda said...

I love all your blocks! The sign would be wonderful in my sewing room.

Betty said...

All of your blocks are very nice. Your giveaway sign pretty much says it all. Thanks for the chance to win.

pinsandneedles said...

Love all your Americana quilt blocks and decor. You did a great job at creating your photo shots. Thanks for your inspiration and including me in your giveaway!

Carol Swift said...

Linda, Your blocks are just amazing! I can't even pick a favorite because they are ALL my favorite. Your son, Travis, looks like such a cutie in that picture. My thoughts are with you today.

Gwen said...

I would love to win your sign for my sewing room! :-) By the way, the first thing that caught my eye on your blog were the pictures of your grandkids--- they're beautiful! :-) I will have to wait till Saturday to give my little granddaughter a hug. She is 14 months old, and since she was born, her Mommy and Daddy bring her every other Saturday for a visit. She is truly the light of my life! :-) Thank you so much for the chance to win!

BizyStitches said...

I enjoyed each and every one of your blocks. The sign would look really cute in my sewing area. Thanks for the chance to win.

Beulah said...

Daises are awesome! I love how they really set off your table runner! :D

sowingstitches [at] yahoo [dot] com

evelyn said...

Linda, I enjoyed reading your blog. Your blocks are great. I love the "word" fabric. Great job on the photography.

Lyn said...

I really enjoyed your blocks. This has been such fun. Thanks for the chance to win.

Pokey said...

For first stating that you do not feel an expert, you have sure done a lot of quilty projects! I do like the table runner, and the block you are sharing on the flag post outside. Beautiful view, BTW. Thank you for sharing this sign in your giveaway, too, How sweet is that? Always nice to meet someone new ~
:-}pokey

♥Duff said...

Thanks for "the view" of your handiwork! Oh, what a wonderful place to quilt--I could stare out of your back window all day!!

Terry@ a quilting blog said...

What great blocks..love how you displayed them! Thanks for the chance to win that fun sign!

Rosa said...

love your block and the runner ist just beautiful!!

Katherine said...

Thanks for sharing your lovely blocks. You do beautiful work and display things so wonderfully.

Needled Mom said...

Your RW&B blocks are all wonderful. The color combinations is always so uplifting.

I have a good chance at lots of hugs today with ten grandchildren staying with us at the moment. Loving it too!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Linda I loved all your blocks but I especially love your little vignette in your yard - how fun! And I actually have already e-mailed all of my children already today. :) I'd love to have the sign to hang in my sewing room! blessings, marlene

Wendy said...

The view out your kitchen window it truly a gift to be shared. You did a wonderful job with all of yoru blocks and anyone would be blessed by the giveaway you are offering. ... thank you so very much! I wish you a blessed day and will certainly tell my girls 100 times over I love them today.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What beautiful blocks Linda! Your applique looks perfect! What a wonderful giveaway and thanks for the gentle reminder to always be thankful for our grandchildren!

Jessisca Lenderman said...

I love the view from your kitchen window and what I mean to say actually I love all your RWB works : ) I am a newbie so one day when I am an oldie hopefully I will already know how to make them wow and stunning quilts like yours : )

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Happy Hop Day Linda! The view from your window is beautiful. I am in Illinois so "Hi neighbor"! I love your blocks. Appliqué scares me too but look at you! That is what this hop is about, trying new things and inspiriting other to do the same. Thank you so much for playing. Off to the sign store.
..Love your pictures...

Joy said...

I've been following the blog hop and was so happy to see another quilter from Wisconsin : ) Your blocks are as beautiful as the setting out your window!

Joy said...

I've been following the blog hop and was so happy to see another quilter from Wisconsin : ) Your blocks are as beautiful as the setting out your window!

carla said...

Love your blocks and displays!!!

Kim said...

Your blocks are beautiful! You did a wonderful job with the appliqué and quilting. Thanks for sharing with us today.

Messy Karen said...

glory in scraps is such a fabulous block. thanks for sharing.

Catherine said...

I hopped on over here and I had the best time ever! Your block for this blog hop is great as is all your work. I like applique too.

Your header is sweet. I live in the high desert and there were no wildflowers for us this year. No rain and a long drought. Thank you for a chance to win the sign. I will visit their site.

Cathy

tammy said...

What lovely "Americana"!! I enjoyed seeing it all. I'm not a quilter so you can leave me out of your give-away. But I'm sure one of the lovely quilters will enjoy it quite a bit! You have inspired me. I may mail "I miss you" notes to the Grands...for I really do and they love Summer mail just for them! Have a "quilty" day my friend!♥

Judy1522 said...

Thank you for sharing your blocks they are all beautiful. Blessings to you and your family on this special day.

Judith said...

Fantastic! I cannot pick a fav, because they are all beautiful and the view from your window is perfect. Thank you for sharing and next month I hope to see my brother before he leaves again overseas. Judith, Texas

Linda said...

HELLO! LOVE THE RUNNER ON THE TRACTOR>SO ATTRACTIVE.SO AMERICANA!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR BLOG+SHARING A NEAT SIGN THAT I'D LOVE TO HANG OVER MY QUILTING AREA!

msstitcher1948@yahoo.com

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your blocks are beautiful and I love how your presented them. You live in a beautiful area. Your applique turned out great. I'd love to be included in your giveaway. This was a lovely visit for the RWB Hop!

Diana said...

What neat patriotic blocks, each one unique. Would love to hang the sign in my quilting cave.
Thanks for the giveaway.

Sallie said...

WOW! So pretty! Thanks for sharing and for the great giveaway! Please enter me in the drawing.

Ariane said...

I love all your blocks!! they look great!! Thanks for the wonderful giveaway!!

Lee said...

Your blocks are such an inspiration! thank you very much!

aiah23 said...

Thanks so much for participating in the blog hop! I love, love, love your blocks and the stories you include. I'd love this sign to put in my office/sewing room:) I'd hang it a foot under my fabric shelves which ends up being about 3 feet above my sewing machine:)

Janet said...

I love all your blocks and your sweet sign. Don't put me in the draw though as I live in Canada and it would cost a fortune to ship. I especially appreciate your reminder to love those we love.

Linda said...

Oh, girl, you did great. The blocks are wonderful and I love that you included the story about the school secretary's daughter. You have worked really hard on this and you did a wonderful job. Your applique block turned out beautifully and congrats on being a favorite.

The sign is great too. Any quilter would love to have that.

~Kris~ said...

i enjoyed each of your blocks. Love your table runner and the heart. I really enjoyed seeing the photos of your home and yard in the background. So nice.

Quilt n Queen said...

What a beautiful view out your kitchen window. Your blocks are fabulous....congrats on your applique and for being picked a favorite on Sew We Quilt...have a terrific Thursday!!

Lori said...

Linda what lovely quilt blocks. I stopped over on the red white and blue hop. Lovely grandchildren. I would so use that wondeful sign. One of my favorites is Joshua 1:5
quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

Shelia said...

Love all of your blocks and your wonderful photography of each one. Thanks for all of the inspiration.
Happy Quilting

Gmama Jane said...

Linda, Congrats for having your heart block chosen as one of the Top 2 for the day!! Great job!! I love your table runner! I know from reading your blog that today is a "special" day for you. I can imagine your mind goes back and remembers your son. My son was born on July 13th, 1976 which is one other way in which we have a lot in common. My heart breaks for your loss, Linda. There are others in our quilting community who have lost a child. Your blocks are wonderful and I know Travis is proud of his sweet Mama.
Blessings
Gmama Jane
Happy Birthday Travis!

MoeWest said...

Thanks for sharing your blocks with us. Your did a great job on all of them. I especially like Folk Art Salute. Congratulations on being one of the chosen blocks of the day! I would absolutely love a sign like that in my sewing room. Thanks for the giveaway. Now I'm going to check out the shop.

Sharon said...

I love all your red, white, and blue! Isn't it great to conquer a "fear" like applique? I think you did a wonderful job! Now I need to conquer my fear of FMQ. LOL!

KatieQ said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful blocks and for the links to the ones you made from Marcia's site. I enjoyed visiting over at the Scrap Happy website. They have lots of lovely things. Thanks for offering the generous giveaway.

Farm Quilter said...

Love your blocks! And I really love the view from your kitchen window - so peaceful and green! I'm a retired SpEd teacher...and understand the hole in your heart (((hugs))) Quilting is a wonderful tie that binds us together is a loving, giving community. Bless you for sharing with us today.

sandra said...

Wonderful blocks I enjoyed every one of them. Blessings Sandra

Sharon Dawn said...

A special day for you and your family...Thanks for sharing your lovely work...and vista!

Carrie P. said...

OH, such a sweet giveaway. thanks for a chance.
Loving all your blocks. Congrats on your first applique. Well done!

Sharon Dawn said...

...Your friend's sign would be perfect in my work area. I forgot to add that. Thanks for the chance!

Judy B said...

You did a great job on your blocks. Yes I would love to have the sign in my sewing room!

Unknown said...

Your blocks are beautiful and I told my girls and my husband how much I love them today!

maggie said...

Hi Lind
I just love your blog and I am now a follower.
Your RWB blocks are wonderful. I love the top one with the daises in the vase. Today is my son's birthday, he is far away but I sent him many hugs & love anyway.
You have beautiful grandchildren.
May God bring you new blessings in your life.
maggie

Marcia W. said...

Thank you for your RWB post of all these gorgeous blocks. I like the scene from your window too.

OneOldGoat said...

I would love to win that sign to put over my sewing machine! And yes, I gave my kids hugs and told them I loved them - my mom, too!

Beth

VickiT said...

Beautiful blocks, especially the Glory in Scraps block. That's very pretty. Thank you for showing us.

Karen O said...

I love all your blocks - great job on the applique. I would love that sign. And I pray for God's comfort today as you remember your precious son.

kc said...

Hi Linda! Great job on all your blocks - they look fabulous! So does the view from your window. I often snap pictures from my sewing room window, and they're usually pretty funny. Sometimes its a couple of lizards doing a dance, sometimes the clouds, and just last week, it was my dear Driver, under the truck. Why? I think he was cleaning it inside, and the 4wheel drive shifter stick fell off in his hands...which, obviously (???) means that something's broken under the truck. Obviously to someone, I'm sure. Personally, I fail to see the correlation. Nevertheless, 30 minutes later, the shifter stick was fixed, so it must have been something broken under the truck.

I'd LOVE to display your sign on my sewing room door, and if I don't win it, I just might have to make one my own self! Thanks for sharing all your creativity!

The Slow Quilter said...

All quilts should have photo ops and lovely has yours, I am enjoying the hop and enjoyed you blog. I would love the sign too.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love all your blocks. All my Grand kids and kids will be here tomorrow and I will hug them all!

betty said...

You did great for your first blog hop; I enjoyed looking at all your quilts, so very cool with the patriotic colors!!

betty

Kathie (Prairie Stitcher) said...

Hi Linda: I'm a new follower and enjoyed your site very much. The rwb blocks are very, very nice. July's one of my favorite months because of the 4th and the chance to wear my national "heart" on my sleeve and wave my flag. I hope you'll visit me and leave a message. We pray for our country and our men and women in harm's way throughout the world.

rush said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rush said...

love your lawn vignette; it is truly patriotic! i love that sign about quilters. it would go so well in the quilt room that i share with another person. rush88888 at gmail dot com

Jodi - usairdoll said...

Oh Linda your blocks and minis are wonderful! I'm glad you had a good experience with applique. I love it. Congratulations on your first blog hop and you did great! My son in the USMC, is deployed in Afghanistan and it does my heart proud when I know our men and women in the military are remembered and appreciated.

Thank you and Scrap Happy Creations for a super giveaway and a chance to win.

usairdoll(at)gmail(dot)com

hueisei said...

I hug my son today! ^^
Very pretty blocks!

Margaret said...

I would love to have this sign to hang in my quilting room. I have been slowly adding some wall art to my very empty walls. This would be perfect over the door.

I have to say that your blocks are gorgeous. I love the table runner on the tractor. Of course, it probably isn't nearly as pretty if it was on a table.

marslaura said...

I am filled with love and tears as I write my thank you and words will always fall short when trying to express the hollowness that sits in my heart for my boys. The lessons learned in life often have come late and I was the fool who did not cherish each moment soon enough. After my injury forced me too quit working I was blessed with the opportunity to truly meet my children. We dwelled under the same roof but were strangers until then. I found two of the most amazing people when I finally "met" them and got to spend time with them. Those were the happiest days of my life. My subsequent divorce due to the abusive nature of my husband led to a period of struggle and growth but on May 23, 2010 I sent my boys off to school, 2nd grade and 6th grade then, not knowing they wouldn't return. Thanks be to god that they still are upon this earth so that one day if I should be so blessed the day might come to meet them again, until then I continue to learn and grow but never does that empty hollow place feel the warmth of their laugh or the joy of their hug. So yes I hope all families no matter their condition (divorced, whole, unconventional)find the importance and value in loving these children and giving up your selfish wants to embrace their needs and above all LOVE LOVE LOVE them and tell them so in actions and words. For faith without deeds is dead so is professions of love without actions of love to be known. Blessings to you and your family.

quiltmom anna said...

Don't you just love flowers- Your daisies profile header is lovely.
Thanks for sharing your blocks- I loved the heart shaped one- very pretty..
The sign is too cute- it will look great in someone's sewing room.
Regards from Western Canada,
Anna

Kathy H said...

Very pretty blocks, I especially liked looking at the first one.I would love to have that sign in my sewing room. Thanks for the chance. And a good reminder to let our children know how much they mean to us.

Brenda M said...

Loved your quilts!!

Brenda M said...

Loved your quilts!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Linda. Your blocks and little vignettes to showcase them are just wonderful. I love all your Americana items... would love to have that little sign for my quilting spot!

And congrats for being a Top 2 for Day 12! I am surely in good company! My day was on the 9th. Playing catch-up for 12 and 13 and so happy to have found your blog. I'm a new follower, too.

"Take the blue of the sky and the green of the forest,
and the gold and the brown of the freshly mown hay;
and the pale shade of spring and the circus of autumn,
and weave you a lovely day."

leanne said...

such gorgeous blocks - love the checkerboard with the stars :)

Maria Kievit said...

Love your variations on the blue red and white theme! Thanks for sharing!

Candace said...

What lovely blocks, your whole post was a treat to look at and to read. I have been having visitors one of which is my great granddaughter and she is a delight. I had lunch today for my daughter, and several others in the family and tomorrow, more of the same. I think I have your special request covered.

QOV KCA Quilt Bee said...

Linda, I just love the Folk Art Salute! All of your blocks are wonderful and I love how you "posed" them...very nice!!!

Sandra J. Strickler said...

Wow you do wonderful work! I am impressed!!!

Elizabeth said...

Your runner is beautiful! I love the blocks and you did an amazing job! Thank you for linking up to the July finishes!

xo -E