Thursday, August 19, 2010

What would you do with OLD thread?


My mom brought these two trays of old thread out this morning.  They are all wooden spools.  The prices either on the paper or engraved in the ends are .10, .15, .19, .25, and .30.  The brand names include: Belding Corticelli,  J & P COATS,  COATS & CLARK'S and Star.    Some spools are labeled mercerized,  mercerized cotton, mercerized sewing,  or silk.  One spool is labeled, "J &P COATS Pure Mending Silk."

Would you use them at all?


Don't forget the Friday night Sew In- Check it out at  Handmade by Heidi 

10 comments:

Linda said...

Hmm, I don't know too much about using the thread but the spools are great. Put them in a glass jar and use them as a decoration. The spools are priceless.

Melanie said...

I got a few old spools like that when my husband's grandmother passed away. I don't use them. I think they're just neat to look at.

Tracy said...

I agree, put them in a jar as a decoration. I have the same thing from my grandmother only they're in storage! I need to get them out sometime and do that. I know the thread will probably be too old to use but they are just neat to see.

scraphappy said...

I don't know if thread goes bad, but those wooden spools are so pretty. You could do the tug test to see it the thread holds up. If not, they would make a pretty decoration. Drawer pull, shadow box, decorative wooden bowl.....

Marla said...

I would put them in an old blue canning jar with the bale top--that's where mine are. :) I also have old bobbins, etc. in with them. At Christmas time I put twine through the middle and turned them into ornaments for the tree in my sewing room. The cats batted them around a little, but they sure looked cute. I also hung old embroidery scissors, etc. the same way and tied bits of homespun to the ends of the branches.

WhiteStone said...

I had a similar collection and they were great for those times I needed a certain color and didn't want to purchase new thread. Give them the tug test to make sure the cotton thread has not rotted (and weakened) with time. Otherwise...they make a great deco.

Maria said...

Oh Linda they are gorgeous. Just great to keep as a display in an old jar etc.

Nancy-Jane said...

Have you seen those glass lamps that you can "fill up" with anything from shells to buttons..whatever you like. They would look great in a lamp like that in your sewing area.

Beth said...

I would not use that thread. Put it in a jar and use it as a display. I collect them at a sewing class I help teach. Two big glass containers I found at WalMart with a lid works great. Keeps the dust out

Lana said...

Those are really great to use for crafts too...perhaps glue them to a lamp shade randomly and use it in your sewing room... I stumbled on your blog from the Friday Night Sew-In and love your work! I will be visiting here again!