Since I often talk or complain or vent about my school day. I thought I would share some pictures of my some of my great students. That is the best thing I have going this year, they are almost always great cooperative kids! My classroom is considered a Cross Categorical Resource room. I work with students who have been diagnosed with one or more of the disabilities: SLD (Specific Learning Disability), ADHD/ ADD ( Attention Deficit Hyperactivity/ Attention Deficit Disorder), Mild CD (Cognitive Disability formerly referred to as mentally retarded), Sp/L (Speech Language), OHI (other health impaired), and EBD (Emotional Behavior Disability). Three years ago the district hired a full time elementary EBD teacher so that has helped. She has the severe EBD students with her.
Each student has an IEP which is an Individualized Education Program. Depending on their need and area of disability they may receive language arts (reading, written language, spelling) and/ or math instruction as an alternate curriculum in my room. We also provide support for their general education class such as science or social studies. Often we will read tests orally to the students when the tests are measuring their academic knowledge not their ability to read or write. We will also scribe the answers dictated to us by the students. I have one SLD student who is an auditory learner. He is able to get B's on tests when we are able to provide the accommodation of reading his tests/worksheets to him. My CD student is unable to participate in gen. ed academics so she receives her science and social studies in my room also. We are working on the State WKCE (Wisconsin Knowledge and Concepts) mandatory testing. It is so frustrating for the students. Even though a student may be in 5th grade and their reading level is at 2nd grade they are still required to take the 5th grade test.
This morning we knew we would be having most of the students in our classroom from 8:30 to 9:30. So my educational aide brought in a pumpkin for everyone that her husband had grown. It is great listening to the student talking together, laughing, just being relaxed and not under the pressure of "learning". They don't realize that social skills is part of learning. I hope this insight shows that "most" of the time I do like my job. When I am able to spend time actually teaching and not attending IEP meetings and completing the mountains of required paperwork. My rewards are not measured with huge gains--but when a student is able to open a book, read to me without errors and they are actually enjoying what they are doing that is my reward.
So when there are times when I am venting or complaining remember I really do like my students and my job. There are just times I become frustrated. That is one reason I learned to quilt and a reason I so very much appreciate my blogging friends.
After looking again at the picture--It has been "Red Ribbon Week" at school. Everyone was to wear red today.


7 comments:
You have a very special job, Linda.
Those are some great pictures! I saw lots of big smiles...they must have been having a lot of fun!
Your students look like they are having a great time. It is great that you were able to find some time to celebrate with them. It is easy to get caught up in the paperwork and dwell on the frustrations. From time to time, it helps to look at the faces and remember why we do this.
All of your students look so happy and that says alot for their teacher.
Linda you must be doing a great job with those gorgeous kids. They all look very happy. I only wish there was a program and a teacher like you for my grandson when he went through school. (hell for him). He has is now 20 and still has a lot of problems.Luckily he now has a great girlfriend who helps him. My daughter says she is Kris's guardian angel.
Keep doing the great work as I am sure there are parents who love you.
Nice pictures Linda. Enjoyed getting a climpse of your room. Last time I saw this room you were going to be moving into it. Looks like you have a little more space. You do a great job, Shell Lake is lucky to have you!! Love you. Peg
How wonderful that everyone got to carve a pumpkin! They look like they are having so much fun.
Thank you for explaining what we do so well. Most people are not familiar with the special education process and just don't understand it.
And I agree about those standardized tests.... why can't they take the test for their own grade level!? That would be so much more realistic.
Happy Halloween weekend
SheilaC
Kudos to you Linda - it takes a very special person to work with these students. My husband just retired from the middle school where he was a teacher's aide for the last five years. He is a retired policeman after 32 years of service and found working with special needs children was so rewarding. Keep smiling.
Post a Comment