Saturday, October 9, 2010

Fall Harvest & Working on Christmas Gifts

I arrived home in time to snap these pictures on Tuesday afternoon when DS -1 was combining the small field of soybeans across from the house.  We have been dry the past couple of weeks.  The beans have dried down so they are combining well.  They are so dry that there  is a huge cloud of dust behind the combine.  The yield is good for our area.

 After the hopper on the combine is full it is unloaded into the grain cart.  Combines are now equipped with computers that measure the moisture content of the beans and the yield per acre.  It shows what areas of the fields have higher yields,  what the moisture level is and weight.

The past week the guys have been combining until 10:30 one, night 11:30 another, and last night they came home around 11:00.  DS-1 is able to take time off from the John Deere dealership where he is the AMS consultant for NW Wisconsin.   
I was able to find the fabric I needed to finish this top.  It is ready to be sandwiched and quilted.  Tatum took a look at it and wanted it immediately.  I am not sure of what she said--but she jabbered away pointing to the puppies. 
This is the sixth time I have used this pattern.  I am not sure of the gold--it went with the collection--but is a little bold. 
This runner and table topper are from the "Northern Botanical" book.  This first is called "Sweetly Simple".  It was definitely simple.  I think once I applique on the holly leaves and do the quilting. It will be simple-but nice.  It will be my first attempt at applique. The second on is called  "Table Grace."    I have one more  runner cut out and started from this book called, "Star Light, Star Bright."
 
I will work on them at night this week.  

I just received the call telling me the guys will be combining late again tonight and they need supper.
Have a great day!!
 



6 comments:

scraphappy said...

You are getting so much done. The table runners look great. I just love the Pokey Puppy fabric. It was one of my favorites as a child. Hope the rest of the combining goes well. It is amazing that a machine can know all of that about the beans it is collecting.

WhiteStone said...

Some of our treasured photos of my dad are of him out on the farm, wearing his bib overalls, with straw hat in hand. Be sure to take and save photos of your "farmers" beside their equipment, etc. These photos are great...it's exactly how our fields in this part of the country are looking right now.

Tatum as good taste in quilts. lol

Janet said...

The pokey puppy quilt is really cute. How did you tell Tatum is wasn't hers? The runners are all very nice. It is a busy time for farmers. It rained off and on today. I hope we get things combined before snow flies this year.

FlourishingPalms said...

Gosh, that's a whole lot of green equipment out there! Glad to hear the harvest is abundant.

I really like the first quilt. The turquoise just pops. You're a busy piecer these days. Great work!

Linda said...

Lots of work, I'm glad the harvest is good. This is a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway, are edamame beans and soybeans the same thing? I buy those frozen here and love them. My grandkids call them jumping beans!

You are getting so much done. Good for you! They all look so pretty. The gold looks just fine on that tablerunner, don't worry. I love the green runner with the holly leaves, your applique is looking good! Why don't you pack some bags and come to Texas to help me get my Christmas sewing done? You are not going to have any sewing to do before long. If you run out of things to sew, let me know and I'll send you some of mine! Hugs, Linda

Candace said...

What neat projects and a reminder that Christmas is getting close(r), I think most anyone can enjoy a pretty table runner. Is Tatum going to get the quilt, lol?