Saturday, May 30, 2015

The most important reason I teach.

On Thursday, one of my  third students needed to present a biography of a famous person.  Her gen. ed teacher came to tell me the student hadn't read a biography.  I did a quick search on Betsy Ross.  I found enough information at  Destiny's reading level for her to learn facts about her character.  From  her reading she had to come up with 12 questions for the class to ask her about her famous person.

We were able to find a dress in a fourth grade classroom which students wear when they have their " Little House In the Big Woods" unit.   Wednesday night I sewed a flag for her to use as her prop and found a basket to call her sewing basket.



  The answers to the questions she couldn't remember we wrote on sticky notes and put them in the bottom of the basket.

 These are some of the facts Destiny found:
*Betsy Ross was the 8th of 17 brothers and sisters.
 *She lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
*George Washington asked her to sew a flag in June, 1776.
*Gen. Washington asked her to make a square flag.
*Betsy made the flag a rectangle because she thought it would fly better.
*The thirteen stripes and thirteen stars represent the thirteen original colonies.
*Her flag first flew with the reading of the Declaration of Independence at Independence Hall on July 8, 1776.






















She was pleased and did a great job!

3 comments:

betty said...

How sweet to help her like that! I learned some new things about Betsy Ross; didn't realize she came from that big of a family!

betty

Maria said...

Oh you are such a gorgeous caring teacher... I also learnt who Betsy Ross was....

Lovely new header photo of the Granndies...

Linda said...

I also learned some things too. Thanks for sharing this with us. She looked very good in this and I'm sure it made her feel good to be able to do this. You are an inspiring teacher. Thank you.