Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Working With Daddy and Papa

Warning.....Grandma posting a picture!!!

Cole (5)  and Colby (2) love farming with Daddy and Papa!  DS#2 and DH added "Buddy Seats" to a couple of the tractors.  They are a specially designed seat for a child complete with a seatbelt. I think we should try to remember to take a picture every year of the two of them standing in front of this tractor!

DH and DS#2 have finished planting corn and are onto planting soybeans.  This is the bean planter. The tractor is four wheel drive with duals on the front and the back. The yellow "bubble" on the top is for the computerized auto steer and GPS control of the tractor.  
These boys are just like their dad.  He would ride in the tractors with DH or myself for hours. Of course, even at 4 or 5 he was able to tell me if I had done something wrong!

One of my para-educators in my classroom  was recently shocked to learn I used to drive the tractors.  I explained that it was just DH and myself.  I spent many hours in the spring, summer and fall driving the tractor before I returned to teaching full time.  One summer when I was pregnant the only place we had AC was in the tractor.  I spent hours raking and baling hay just to be in the AC.  I teased DH that he would have to lift me into the tractor with the loader when I wasn't able to climb into the cab.

My grandfather and father -in -law would not believe the technology used for farming.  Much different from farming with horses when they farmed or a two cylinder John Deere B.
This is my father-in-law in 1949. Times have changed in some ways.





2 comments:

betty said...

I think that is a great idea to take the picture of your grandchildren yearly in front of the tractor. Farming indeed is hard work!

betty

Maria said...

How wonderful to think these dear little fellas love farming like their Papa and Daddy. A photo each year will lovely.
It's amazing how advanced technology is.. Makes for much easier farming.