I always receive requests for this recipe when I make it for friends or potlucks. Allison just emailed asking for it a second time. I thought I would share it with you also. It is taken from a 1973 Farm Journal Cookbook -"Family Favorites From Country Kitchens." I made for the first time the year we were married-1974- and have been making it every year since. Enjoy. Delicious with whipped cream or ice cream.
Old recipes are fun to read. Even in this one the actual directions call for a 1lb 8 oz jar of prepared cherry pie filling. All pie filling at now 1 lb 5 oz. Also it calls for the flour to be sifted , rolled oats, and to be baked in a moderate oven.
Rhubarb Cherry Crunch
4 cups diced fresh rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBSP cornstarch
1 Cup water
1 can Cherry Pie Filling
5 drops red food color
1 tsp almond extract
Place rhubarb in 11X 7 X 1 1/2 " baking dish. Combine sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan. Gradually stir in water. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thick. Stir in pie filling, food coloring and almond extract. Pour over Rhubarb.
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, salt and butter; mix until crumbly. Add walnuts. Sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake at 350 deg. 45 minutes or until golden brown and rhubarb is tender. (It could also be baked in a 9 X 13 pan)

3 comments:
Sounds yummy! We love rhubarb anything. I don't know why I haven't ever planted some. When I worked in town, I always got some from other people. I may have to plant some this year. :)
Hmm, I'm going to give this to my MIL. She loves rhubarb and this might give her something to do. Thanks for sharing. hugs, Linda
Oooh, I'm copying this recipe for sure! Sounds scrumptious!
Post a Comment