Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Friday Night Sew-In

www.handmadebyheidi.blogspot.com






My Friday Night Sew In will have to start late.  It is our high school  graduation on Friday night.  I always attend to watch the students I worked with as they graduate. This year three of my former students will be graduating.  When I have spent four years with them from third through six grades, I have many hours invested in their lives.  In our small school the seniors put together a slide show of their school career memories.

There are 10 1/2 school days left.  The warm weather arrived this week with temps in the upper 70's.  The students  are finding it difficult to concentrate on school work!  Now is when I need to be creative to challenge them with activities so they are still learning and staying focused. 

This year I have 14 students on my caseload.  Of those,  I work several hours a day with 12 of them.  Three of the students have expressed they don't want summer to come.  It is not because they love school and everything about it.  It is because school is the only structure they have in their lives.  They know that the teachers, students, and routine will be at school everyday.  The summer is unknown.  Will they be at mom's or dad's or someone else's home?  Will there be breakfast or lunch for them? It is a tragedy what some of the students live through everyday.  So--each day we try to build them up and offer the security we can for each day we see them. And--pray for their safety and  security each day.



2 comments:

Amy said...

I'm there too!!!!! {{and a few parties afterwards already}}

I SOOOOOOO can't believe this year is almost over already!

Linda said...

Wow, 10 days....I can remember counting down the hours looking up at the old clock in our school! I loved school but I always enjoyed my summer. I'll put your kids on my prayer list this summer.

I hope you have a great time with the kids graduating on Friday night. I'll sew some for you! Hugs, Linda