Monday, May 24, 2010

My morning at school

It was quite a morning  at school.  This is a photo of our 3-12 building.  My windows are the set of windows to the far  left.  I met with a 10 year old student and her mother at 7:45 (they were 15 minutes late--I really thought they weren't going to show up.)  Our discussion concerned information the student related to me on Friday.  Since my principal was out of the district I had to meet  with the superintendent of school to inform him of the situation.  Then I made a phone call to Heath and Human Services in the  the neighboring county where the student resides.  As a teacher I am a mandatory reporter.  Health and  Human services will be contacting the student and the family.  This was one of those difficult times of being a teacher.  I am sure I will be hearing from the family after they have been contacted by the county.
I have often said I wish I had a paper shredder type machine to place outside of the classroom where the students could shred all of the "junk" they come to school with and then learning could occur.  This is a situation that could emotionally impact the student for life!

I am hoping to spend some time sewing tonight to relax and take my mind off the heartbreaking story I heard on Friday.

6 comments:

Amy said...

OH Linda---I LOVE the shredder analogy! Imagine what could be taught/learned if the students didn't have so much baggage to worry about :0(

SheilaC said...

Ah, Linda.... I know exactly what you mean. We have had to make that call several times this year for different families, and it is NEVER easy to do.
I had a mom scream obscenities at the child, in front of 2 teachers, because she was mad at the child that the call was made.... sigh.

Hugs! Feel better...

SheilaC

Linda said...

Oh, Linda. I hate to hear that. I'll be thinking about you this week and hope all goes well for you. Hugs, Linda

scraphappy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your day at school. How much easier it would be if we could all take that baggage from a difficult day and leave it at the door before we came home. It's hard not to dwell on the unpleasantness. Hopefully the reporting process will bring some relief. ((hugs))

Linda said...

Linda, you were on my mind and in my prayers yesterday, as well as the child and her family. I hope things went as well as can be expected.

Tracy said...

I used to want to be a teacher when I was younger but the way things are today, I really don't think I could do it.
I hope all goes well in this situation.