Saturday, August 11, 2012

How do I become selfish?


I would really like to know how to change my personality to become a selfish person!   As my blogging friends know,  I spend a great deal of time taking care of my grandkids..which I love doing,  spend time counseling and supporting  young moms-definitely needed by several,  spend time with  the young mom whose son was killed last January--guiding her through the grief process. 

This week DH and I left for four days for a road trip vacation.  DH and I have taken three vacations in 38 years.  One to visit relatives and tour Glacier National Park three years ago,  a trip to Door County for two days last year to celebrate Bob and Peg's Birthdays, and this four day road trip.

We visited SEVERAL truck dealerships (looking for used truck for DH),  two trailer dealerships looking for a trailer to haul round bales, tractors, and equipment. We  stopped to look at farm equipment beside the roads with for sale signs,  (and did buy a grain auger). I did a lot of driving with DH resting with eyes closed.

 Not forgetting to  mention  stopping at Cabela's,  four gun shops, and three farm supply stores.   Lots of windshield time!

I did mange to YELL,   "STOP QUILT SHOP."  We pulled over at five unique shops we saw along the two lane highways.

First quit shop stop:  Pins 'N' Needles in St. Croix Falls.after stopping at a truck dealership.


We were driving along  the Mississippi River in Alma, Wi. when I saw a sign the read, "Quilt Shop" on the side of an old building.  I yelled, "STOP".
  "The Burlington-Hotel-Quilt Shop" 
 A couple purchased the old Burlington Hotel.  They have remodeled half of the first floor into a quilt shop.  They are working on remodeling rooms and an area to hold quilt retreats.

Burlington  Hotel & Quilt Shop
View of the Mississippi River from their front door.

Here I purchased the Quilters' Travel Companion 2012-2014!  From there on I had the road map in one hand and the Companion open to Minnesota in the other.

Two days later as we were heading across Northern Minnesota I turned a corner in the very small town of Wahkon and there I saw the Country Caboose Quilt Shop.  Another unique small building with bolts and bolts of fabric. 

After stopping at a Reed's Sporting Goods in Onamia MN at the foot of  Mille Lacs  Lake (only to find they didn't sell or stock firearms). We headed north to Walker, MN to their main store.

 On Hwy 371 near Pequot Lakes  I spotted Mother Originals Quilt Shop.


This is an awesome "little shop."  Working in the shop was a young teenager, her mom, and her grandma.  They were quilting with a HUGE Gammill longarm.  I had DH come in to look at the machine.  He was very impressed and asked many questions.  Then he started wandering around the shop and HE found fabrics he thought I should buy.  WOW!  It was an expensive stop...remember he is a grandpa who LOVES his grandkids!  We came out with Whitetail Deer fabrics and princess fabrics.  (On his farm credit card!)

At Walker, MN on Leech Lake I dropped DH off at the other Reed's Sporting Goods and headed to find Front Porch Quilts.

They were preparing for a busload of 60 Shop Hoppers who were touring with the Minneosta Shop Hop to arrive in 45 minutes.  The store was all decorated and stocked for the hop.  I bought some of my favorite Holly Taylor Christmas Spirit Fabric.

DH found the best gun shops are within 40 miles of home so we headed for home--5 hours away!

Heidi of Handmade by Heidi wrote to tell  me of great shops in the Duluth area.  We didn't make it before they were closed...Do I hear ROAD  TRIP ?  Now--How do I find selfish time to Quilt?








6 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

This definitely sounds like my kind of trip! Hope I get to see some of those shops one of these days! ~Jeanne

Amy said...

LOL....your "STOP! QUILT SHOP!" line made my bust out laughing! I can completely hear you yelling that.

Great lil' trip! Thanks for sharing! If you decide to road trip it, keep me in mind. I haven't bought ANY fabric this year, other than what was needed to finish up Julie's quilt. :)

Maria said...

You will NEVER become selfish as you are just such a kind hearted person BUT you do need to think about going on a lovely sewing weekend retreat one day with a bunch of like minded ladies...
Maybe when those folk have finished renovating the hotel..
Pleased you did get to visit some Quilt Shops. Nice of DH to have helped you buy fabrics.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

What a fun time! We don't go on vacations much either but when we do go some place, I do the same thing. I always find some cute quilt shop. Your trip sounds like fun! You'll never become selfish. You're too nice!! Besides, you sounded like you had a great time anyways!!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

You are very blessed to have grandchildren to love up on...I know you know that. =)

Sharon said...

That sounds like a trip we would do! Hubby looking for all the sporting goods/gun shops and me looking for all the quilt shops! LOL! Good thing he came in to look around! Sometimes husbands end up being an asset to have with us when fabric shopping. ;-)