Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Things We Do For Our Kids!

DS -2 called the other day asking if I could sew the edge of an awning for him.  Now you have to understand DS.  He builds trucks, trailers, etc. as a hobby.  He has turned an old school bus into a family camper.  He "found" an awning that had been on a camper that had been totaled in an accident.  It has never been used.   He cut it to fit the  bus.

The following is a text discussion between DS-2 and myself  the past couple of days.

D.S. "Mom when can you sew the awning for me?"

Me.  "I have school this week, probably on Saturday."

D.S. " Oh, not until then?"

Me. "When do you need it?"

DS. "Soon as you can."

Me. "I will work on it after school Tuesday.

 I purchased heavy needles for my machine. 

Next discussion.

Me. " Do you want the edge turned over and sewn."

D.S. "Yep, about an inch."

D.S. "How about 1/2 inch?"

D.S. "Oh, there is a hole on the end.  Can you patch that too?  If not I will use duct tape."

When I arrived home today the canvas was on the picnic table. I tried my old machine--didn't work.  So my Janome sewed right through it!

Me. "All finished."

D.S. " Have you hung it on the bus?"

Me. "Don't push your luck!"


 Since this picture he has painted the bus, changed the door and a few other things.  He built the ramp carrier on the back of the bus.  They are able to drive their car or 4 wheelers onto the back to take them along with them camping.

6 comments:

Maria said...

What a good Mum ...
I hope DS2 takes you for a holiday in the truck one day.. Looks great.

Amy said...

LOL....
"Don't push your luck" - gave me a grand ol' giggle there!

Oh, the creative minds of a man! :)

Janet said...

Reminds me of sewing the awning on our deck boat. My DH thinks I can sew or patch anything. You have a very talented son! He must take after his mom.

Sharon said...

You are so sweet to help him out! It sounds like he has an inventor's mind. :) Same as my dear son-in-love.

Linda said...

Talent runs in the family! Love this. I think it's great that he's a recycler too!
I had a good laugh on this one too.

FlourishingPalms said...

It looks and sounds as if son #2 is as creative as his mother!