Thursday, June 2, 2011

Why Daughters Age!

After spending four weeks at the Convalescent Center following her fall and resulting compression fracture of her spine, my 85 year old (very independent) mom was more than ready to return to her home.  She was having PT three times a day making good progress with the walker.  She used the wheelchair to go for meals and activities.

After her first two days home I wondered if she was really ready.  The last two days she has looked and sounded much better so  I am able to relax a little.  I either drive up to check on her or talk with her three times a day.  She is getting meals on wheels and I did persuade her to sign up for Lifeline.

--WELL! When I called her from school this morning her first comment was,  "Where there is a will there is a way!"  I thought--oh no--What did she do now.  She placed a folding chair in the shower, turned on the shower, stepped into the tub, and took a shower.  She said, "The bathroom got a little wet as did the clothes I was planning to put on."   What could I do but laugh.

Two of her friends found out what she did and went to Walmart to purchase a shower chair for her!!

God Bless!
Linda

5 comments:

betty said...

oh wow, so glad she got a shower chair! good for her for her trying to solve the problem with the folding chair, but glad she didn't get hurt!! glad she is able to return home too after her health problems

betty

Maria said...

Your Mother sounds like a wonderful women. Only hope I am as capable at her age.
Nice to read your post Linda.
Hugz
Maria

Anonymous said...

Seriously!! That is funny glad it turned out well for her and you! 4 more days of school and then maybe I can get caught up a little!!

Love ya Sis,
Peg

scraphappy said...

What an amazing will your Mom has. You just have to admire her can do spirit and know that it has gotten her this far.

WhiteStone said...

My 90 year old Mom has been doing this for years. She uses a shower chair and had a hand-held shower head installed. Shower curtain is a must!