Monday, March 28, 2011

Mud Season #2 On It's Way!

We are almost into "Mud Season #2".   The high temperature today was 34 deg. it is the warmest it has been since the snow storm last week. It was 5 deg this morning when I drove to school. The weather forecast is for in the 50's by the weekend.  The mud will be everywhere by then.

This is what I walk through to get to and from my car.  I try to take the high ground with less  mud.  I also carry my good shoes and wear my mudders.  The sidewalk is under the snowbank on the left.

On the farm everything looks dirty and a mess this time of year. 

Saturday DH was gone for 5 hours.  Only farm wives are able to truly understand what a gift that is especially on a Saturday.  Please, don't misunderstand, I love him dearly--but sometimes it is nice to have MY time.   I filled 5 black garbage bags and carried  them to the dumpster and also kept the wood furnace in the basement going all afternoon with misc. items.  As I continued to clean I moved things around so there isn't anything he should really miss.  

We go back to the cities later this week for two days of medical appointments.  I am taking another Jennifer Chivaerini book with me.  I have read 6 of them so far.  It may be out of season,  however it is the next in her sequence so I checked out,  "The Christmas Quilt" to take along while I am waiting. 

We will be spending one night.  After one set of appointments we will head out to Cabela's.  I am going to look for quilt shops on line before we go.  If anyone knows of any great shops between Mpls. and Rogers, MN. Please send me the name so I can google directions.

The intercom at school is directly over my desk.  The volume is so loud it blasts in my ear.  I have taped posters over the top with paper towels padded behind them.  Then I had a brilliant idea!!!  I have many of Susan Winget classroom bulletin board items and boarders in my classroom.  I found a Susan Winget fabric printed block on ebay.  I padded it with two layers of batting and did some quick quilting.  I will hang it up tomorrow and let you know how it works!!

 Please Continue to:  Think Spring!!!!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh my, that is a lot of mud! Snow is pretty, but it is messy underneath, isn't it??
LOL about the school intercom. I'm sure you'll get it fixed!
Have a great week! hugs♥

Tracy said...

Linda I truly think we are 'kindred spirits', in the words of Anne Shirley! I try to take a book with me when I know I'm going to have time on my hands...and the mud...I totally understand doing the walk through the mud. If someone were to watch me walking down our driveway to the shop, they'd think I fell and bumped my head! It's like walking in circles to avoid it!
And finally, the Time Alone!! For the first 15 minutes or so I wander around wondering what to get into first!
Tell me...did you get rid of any old farm hats and coveralls that were beyond help?!!!
Very creative and cute idea for the intercom!

Julie Fukuda said...

Way to go on the intercom. I hope it works.
We do not have a real mud problem but there are two routes to our front door that I passed to my quilt group... the sunny day route and the rainy day route...unless you can tightrope walk on walls.

Janet said...

No mud here yet. I'm waiting for high temps on Thursday. It snowed again today about 5 inches. I hope April has NO snow. lol Five hours alone--heaven. I can truly understand the thrill of throwing and burning stuff without DH's knowledge. He's more of a pack rat than I am. I just had to laugh. I hope you find some wonderful quilt shops to enjoy and the appts all go well for Herb. I love your intercom cover--I hope it works! It looks very nice.

JudyCinNC said...

Quilters are certainly creative - hope all goes well with the appointments. Sometimes waiting is the worse part. Judy C

scraphappy said...

I hope all the mud will wash away soon. At least it is warm enough that it isn't frozen! Sounds like you made good use of some alone time. Good luck with your appointments, the seasonal books my Jennifer Chaiverini don't seem to fall in sequence with the others so don't worry about reading out of order. I have just started her newest book and it is another of the historical ones.

SheilaC said...

Gotta love mud season.... followed quickly by black fly season :)

Love your idea to cover the intercom, bet it will look great!

SheilaC