Thursday, April 15, 2010

HELP! "Crosshatch Quilting"

I am working on a quilt top--I would like to start machine quilting it--The pattern states " The featured quilt was quilted with a crosshatch design.....". I did a google search--however, no suggestions on the distance apart for the stitching--or other experience based suggestions. All help will be appreciated!
Linda

3 comments:

Amy said...

Hey LInda----cross-hatch quilting is a nice simply pattern when you have a walking-foot (which you have) :0)

It's basically "diagonals" in both directions....
I did a quick google and came up with this...
http://www.ideas-for-quilting.com/crosshatchquilting.html
...and here's a picture of a quilt finished with Cross-hatching...
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2770406600102965645ORXFvy

Hope this helps :0)

Anonymous said...

It might be easiest if you use something related to the size of the blocks in the quilt. Mostly 2.5 inch squares would give you 2 inches finished, that would break down easily to 1 inch or half an inch. My machine has a little guide that attaches to the walking foot to keep the spacing all even. Good luck -- it sounds like fun.

Candace said...

I love the look of crosshatching, and have done some, my favorite is a coffee table topper that I did probably about an inch and a quarter apart. I don't know if I made it harder than necessary, but it was definitely more time consuming than FMQ'ing. These were probably about 2 to 2 1/2 inches apart:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uiqdQGmEs0g/SU-79fyj-lI/AAAAAAAAA20/zReswYI7q-E/s1600-h/100_0434.jpg
and these are the closer ones:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uiqdQGmEs0g/SuW_G1qdZmI/AAAAAAAABZs/EtEmG1RJ8ow/s1600-h/2009+10+25_0491_edited-1.JPG
Not too good of a picture, but I think you can see some of it.