The swans returned this morning to the pond outside my kitchen window.
Last week we woke up to three inches of heavy wet snow on the ground. Three of the grandkids were here for the day since there was no school on Easter Monday. Two hours later the snow was melting and the snowman collapsed.On March 23, the 38 year old son of a close friend took his life. He had experienced severe depression the past 18 months. Every avenue was tried with counselors, medication and hospitalized different times. They would make progress then he would sink into depression again. This friend was our school secretary who retired last spring. She asked me to speak at the memorial service. She calls me her "religious" friend. So I had the "religious" part of the service. It was an an opportunity to share with Polly and Jason's friends and family. The service was held in the local funeral home. She wrote her own verse to "Amazing Grace" and asked me to read it along with the first verse of "Amazing Grace."
“Amazing Grace, How how sweet the sound,
which saved a wretch like me,
I once was lost , but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.”
which saved a wretch like me,
I once was lost , but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.”
Polly's verse.
“Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound
That saved a man like me,
Jason once was lost,
but now is found
Was blind, but now he sees.”
I then read one of the verses from "Amazing Grace, My Chains are Gone."
“My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, amazing grace.”
That saved a man like me,
Jason once was lost,
but now is found
Was blind, but now he sees.”
I then read one of the verses from "Amazing Grace, My Chains are Gone."
“My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, amazing grace.”
Before Jason's death, Polly and I had a fun time cheering for the Wisconsin Badger Basketball team and their run for the NCAA championship. Last spring I made her a Badger quilt. I promised a runner for her piano when they made it to the Final game. (Her most prized possession) This is a picture she posted during the tournament. Letting me know she was expecting the runner.
Jason's death was the week before the elite 8 game. I knew I would finish her gift regardless.
I sewed at the dining room table while watching the intense game. The Badgers lost to Duke...we won't go into the officiating of that game.
Jason's death was the week before the elite 8 game. I knew I would finish her gift regardless.
I sewed at the dining room table while watching the intense game. The Badgers lost to Duke...we won't go into the officiating of that game.
Thursday after school a group of friends met her after school. She was thrilled! Sometimes we do things for special people. We live completely different lifestyles. But, are still very close friends.
I was working on a baby quilt for a gift for baby shower at church. I took a picture before the binding. Suddenly I saw my mistake. It was already quilted. So, I have finished it and I'm sending it to "Quilts for Kids." I hope whoever receives it won't mind a mistake.
I am working on a quilt for Cole's birthday in a couple of weeks. I haven't a picture of that yet. I will share it next week.
Last week was "Art Day" in Cole's 4K class. His dad went into the special day as Cole's guest.
Thought for the day:




.jpg)

.png)
3 comments:
So sorry about the loss of your son's friend; it was nice that she felt comforted by you that she would ask you to speak at the memorial. I think she will always appreciate that kindess and the kindess of you making that runner for her :) I'm sure whoever gets the quilt will appreciate it for sure!
betty
Another beautiful view from your kitchen window. Such blue water and pretty swans.
Looks like the Granndies had fun with the last of the snow before Spring days.
Sorry to read of your friend's sons passing. Depression is so hard to deal with. I know. Polly is fortunate to have a caring friend like you. I am sure she will treasure her great Badgers runner you made.
Its great when Dads can came and help at school.Nice photo of Cole and Dad.
I am sure the wee quilt will be loved by a little person.
Post a Comment