Saturday, April 18, 2015

Spring Field Work Has Begun

A year ago we were in the middle of a huge snowstorm. This morning when I went for my early Saturday morning walk, this is what I found outside my kitchen.

 This year we are starting field work.
Son #3 came home for a few hours to use one of DH's dozers to level some land and clear some brush from the edge of a field.  He operates large heavy equipment at work, this was like playing with a toy. He also brought a transit to work on the grading of an area of the field to help it drain better.

This morning DH helped with  the slaughtering two black angus steers to be sold to friends who appreciate lean, home raised beef.  
A young man  comes with a  truck,  complete with a hoist  and cooler,who does the slaughtering and hauls the beef to the meat market where it will be custom cut and wrapped for the purchaser.  We have many repeat friends who purchase a whole, 1/2 or 1/4 beef because they like the flavor,  they know we don't use any type of hormones, and they know what it has been fed.
This afternoon DH started chisel plowing to prepare the field for no-till planting.  It saves time and eliminates the need for conventional plowing.  The trash (old rotting corn stalks) helps to hold moisture in the ground.

Son #2 is broadcasting fertilizer over the fields.  This tractor and spreader quickly covers the ground.
A friend of Son #2 has another tractor going preparing fields with the .  Our nephew is also helping today.


I need to continue working on a quilt for grandson #2's upcoming birthday.  I need to add the borders and try to have it quilted before Wednesday!  I know what I will be doing after church tomorrow!




2 comments:

betty said...

Cute quilt, I know your grandson will like it!! Lots of work getting ready things after the long winter!

betty

Maria said...

Sweet daffodils...
A busy time on the farm. Sew nice you have many hands to help...
Your. GS will love his special quilt . I am sure you will get it quilted in time..