Sunday, September 16, 2012

Catching up with Fall activities...

Kasey started 4K ( 4 year old  Kindergarten) this last week.  She rides the big bus to school in the morning. At noon the bus takes her to day care for the afternoon.  When fall field work is complete she will be spending her afternoons with Papa.
 We were blessed with rain early in the growing season even though we have been without adequate rainfall the last half of the summer. We will have ripe corn. Thankfully it is already drying down so we won't have to purchase as much gas to dry it.
I usually try to can enough applesauce for us and my two daughters-in-law.  It is difficult for them to can with the the kids.  I have a system that works well.  Especially with the use of my 38 year old Kitchen-Aid mixer and the attachments.  I only wash and quarter the apples before cooking.  When they are soft they are put into the funnel.  The applesauce goes through the strainer with the peelings, core, and seeds out the end.  So far I have 45 pints done. (And four pies)

In the middle of processing a batch this afternoon, DS-1 called asking if I could  bring Cole something to snack on and his blanket.  He is combining beans with his daddy while Kasey and her mom went shopping. 
 I packed a snack for DH, DS=1 and Cole.  Cole was happy to see Papa caring his John Deere blankie.  (I couldn't find his "Farming With Daddy" hat. There is a small passenger seat with a seat belt for Cole.

Cole was happy just to have his blankie!
The beans are dumped into the grain cart, then emptied into the truck that DH drives to the grain bins where the soybeans are stored until hauled by semi truck/trailer to the plant.

 My school year is as challenging as I expected it to be.  I am still working on my daily schedule.  If I don't need to stop to eat or use the bathroom I should be able to make it.  However, that also means there is no prep time in the day either.  They have sent a fourth aide into my room for  an hour a day.

 I  hung my motto above the bulletin board where I keep the daily schedules of the ten classrooms that my students leave to receive pullout instruction in my room. 
Also, put up a shelf with blocks to help me remember why I do what I do.

When I learned that September is National Sewing Month a blogging friend encourage me to find even 5 minutes a day to sew or quilt.  So some nights-no matter how tired I have taken time to clear my mind with sewing/quilting.

Here is the result, the flimsy is finished and needs to be sandwiched and quilted.  I need to finish it soon.  Cora Elizabeth is the granddaughter of a friend and is due in October!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Ohhhh....the applesauce! YUMMM!
We are (im)patiently waiting the year when our young trees will produce an abundant amount of fruit. 'Til then, we ask around :)

I am so impressed with your daily bits of quilting/sewing. What a fabulous flimsy!!!!

betty said...

I'm amazed at the mixer that is 38 years old! Don't find that too often these days!! I bet the applesauce is absolutely delicious! Does sound like a good harvest; glad the corn did ripen!! Good luck with the school year, it does sound like a bit of a challenge!

betty

Belinda said...

That applesauce looks yummy!! My grandson always loves his blankie too, only he has dubbed it his "met met". Love that sweet little quilt you are making!!

Ray and Jeanne said...

Oh Linda, you sound super busy right now. How well I remember trying to can and freeze right as school was beginning each fall. And it sounds like you have a challenge at school too - best of luck! Your flimsy is darling and I think you are wise to find that sewing/quilting time each day. I'll pray for a great year for you! ~Jeanne

Maria said...

No wonder you don't have much time to stitch, you are so busy doing other great things..
The applesauce sounds yummy..
You are so nice to help the girls by making it..
Kasey does look very grown up..
How nice for Cole to be with his Daddy while he's working..
Love the shelves and your flimsy..

JudyCinNC said...

Hi busy lady - my granddaughter also teaches Special Needs children is having the same kind of year - she did switch to sixth graders this year with hopefully "less attitude" to deal with. Teachers are such special people. Judy C in NC

Sharon said...

I love your baby flimsy! The prairie points are the perfect touch. Amazing what 5-10 minutes a day can accomplish!
Your applesauce looks yummy. Hope your school year smooths out for you.