Sunday, August 9, 2009

NEWS FLASH!!! A VACATION!!!

We really did it!! DH and I went on our first real vacation since our honeymoon 35 years ago. At that time we went camping in a borrowed camper for 4 days at Copper Falls State Park in Northern Wisconsin. DH has gone on a few hunting trips out west with friends and I have had my adventures with my college friends, however we were never able to go together because one of us had to stay to milk the dairy cows. The last of the dairy cows went in the truck in May. We left on July 23 and returned July 29 putting 3299.4 miles on our Yukon.

I have a cousin and his wife, who live near Flathead Lake in Montana. We have always wanted to visit them. So we headed out. It was fantastic. We visited Carrington, N.D where I had lived until I was nine years old. I managed to find the two houses I remembered living in, my church, and elementary school. Even stopped to visit the neighbor across the street who had been my mother's best friend.
We drove the less traveled highways. We enjoyed seeing the crops and machinery. Herb started out our trip stopping are three implement dealers before reaching St. Cloud. So we stopped at 21 John Deere dealership on the trip. He talked with dealers, farmers, and ranchers from here to Glacier Park and back. We took pictures of 19 of the JD dealerships!
Glacier Park was breathtaking. I actually took the picture of the glacier I have added to the post. We enjoyed the montains, the plains, the meadows, and the plateaus! Most of all we actually relaxed! We saw huge fields that see to go forever of blue Flax in bloom and fields of wheat ready to be combined.

We totally enjoyed out trip--we learned many things about traveling--Such has plan your stops and how long you expect to make in a day. And to make reservations ahead of time--long story!

I spent last week doing devotions/ object lessons for the students at our VBS. We averaged 78 students throughout the week. It was a great week! Good prep to going back to school soon!!!!!

SOOO-back to quilting projects. I have only to do the binding on a baby quilt for Haylee and Jerry's little girl who was born the day after Tatum. It is bright!!! I have started a Christmas Table runner to give as a housewarming gift for the guidance counselor at my school. There are a few other UFO's that need my attention!

Questions for blogging friends. I found a valance in The Country Sampler Magazine. I am going to make for my kitchen using retro 30's prints. What size should I make the 9 patch??? All suggestions will be appreciated!!


Thank you!!!!

Linda

No comments: