I returned to school for three days of in service this week--Listening to speakers, administrators, a presentation on Six Traits Writing, and trainings. Finally, today we were given some time to work in our rooms.I am a Cross-Categorical Elementary Special Education Instructor working with students in grades 3-6. I have 16 students on my caseload starting the year. The students range from SLD (specific learning disability), Mild CD ( cognitive disablity), OHI (other health impaired) , Sp/L (Speech Language), EBD (Emotional Behavior Disability) and add a few ADD/ADHD students. Today I began working on scheduling. The first challenge is to work out how one teacher and one para-educator will be able teach nine students who are on seven different academic levels from four grades at the same time four days aweek from 8:30 to 9:40. Most of the day there are several students from various grades are various levels in the room needing instruction in the academic areas of Reading, Written Language, Spelling, and Math. I also provide support for the students in their general education classroom for social studies and science.
The motto of my classroom: "Blessed Are the Flexible for they Shall not be Bent out of Shape!"
Now you see why I learned to quilt. I need something that I am able to escape into at night. Last week my friend, Julie's son and his girl friend announced their engagement. They are getting married this October--so out came the fabric for a Christmas Tree Skirt. Julie thought they would prefer whimsical rather than traditional. I am using the MODA Bake Shop Christmas Table Topper pattern with a few modifications- and rather than a Table Topper- I will have a Christmas Tree Skirt.
I sewed the nine patch squares last night and have started cutting them into the "disappearing nine square blocks" tonight.
It is a memory day! My baby has his Golden Birthday today, Chad is 27 on the 27th.

1 comment:
Back in the swing of things! My hubby is a teacher also and just found out that his school will be closing their doors forever. It is a private school and has been hit by the economic woes in our area. He has been a teacher for 30 years and is highly qualified and cannot find a teaching job. Enjoy your school year, but most of all, enjoy your quilting!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment