Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Challenging Days...

My first request of my blogging friends, please make a phone call to someone you love to tell them how important they are to you.


The past month has been a challenge.  On August 28th my DH went into surgery for replacing the tissue valve he received seven and a half years ago.   What was supposed to be a routine 4 1/2 hour surgery became 8 1/2 hours of surgery on the heart lung bypass machine
.  
When the surgery was complete he had received a mechanical mitral valve, a repaired tricuspid valve, and  the aortic valve was replaced with a tissue valve.  We were told the surgery was complicated and complex. His heart is extremely compromised.  We were told the first 24-48 hours were critical.  Afterwards doctors and nurses told me they didn't know if DH would survive the first night.

Following the surgery he experienced a collapse lung, a chest tube to drain blood/ fluid from the chest cavity. The next day I was told the doctor was "pleased" DH had pneumonia. It meant there was not infection at the site of one valves.  After four days on the respirator and being sedated he was brought out and the respirator was removed.  He recognized me and we began the long road to recovery.

I will try to shorten the story to finish by saying he was released from the hospital after 12 days. 

Life is still full of challenges,  medical difficulties are happening.  I am putting one foot in front of the other and depending on strength from our Lord and Savior. I know without a shadow of a doubt it is only through the power of prayer, and bold prayer requests that I didn't come home alone.

I am so very thankful for the amazing care of the doctors, nurses and staff at the Allina Abbott Northwestern Heart Hospital in Minneapolis, MN. 

No sewing is happening.  My time is filled with being a nurse..

Love and Prayers,
Linda


5 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Oh my Linda, you have been through way too much. Take care! We just left your beautiful area this morning - one of my brothers lives on Shell Lake and one brother lives there 1/2 time. It was hard from to leave - I don't see them enough and one is not in good health. It is so true that tomorrow is not promised. You and your DH are in my prayers. Be sure to take care of yourself along with taking care of him. ~Jeanne

betty said...

Will say a prayer for his recovery. Being home with you as his nurse and Jesus walking alongside you both, I'm hoping his recovery will be a quick one. In the meantime, do allow a little bit of "you" time, even if it is a few minutes daily. Care giving is hard work and can be draining and exhausting. Need to keep yourself going so you can keep up with your husband's care needs and sometimes that means just a few minutes of doing something for you. Take care!!!

betty

Pokey said...

Linda, my heart goes out to you, bless you and your love as you go down the road to recovery. Hold tight to the Lord and His Word, it's so important to know you are not alone! Love, and prayers, pokey❤️❤️

Maria said...

You have been in my thoughts and I was worried for you. I understand how hard it has been for hubby and you. Keeping you in my prayers.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Thank you for letting us know! I can only imagine how scarey this had been for both of you. May God's grace give you peace....