Thursday, November 13, 2014

What happened to Fall?

Northern Wisconsin is missing the last few weeks of autumn.  We went from 40 degree weather to 16 inches of snow in a day. 

This is the view tonight from my kitchen window.
 



The snow started early Monday morning.  School was released at 12:30.  By that time we had several inches.  The buses became stuck in driveways.  When the teachers left the parking lot we had to shovel out cars, push some to help them out, or make tracks for other cars to follow.  We all drove home in white out conditions with many vehicles in the ditches  By the time it ended we had 16 inches of snow. 

 School was open again on Tuesday morning.  Something that has been a source of frustration for many parents.  There were 40% of the students absent at the primary school.  None of the buses were able to run their usual routes due to country roads being impassable.  Two buses did not pick up any students.

Yesterday Kasey related this story to me.
 "There were only 10 kids on our bus.  Bob couldn't pick up lots of kids because their roads weren't plowed.  We almost got stuck.  Bob stopped the bus and told us to buckle the seat belt if we had one.  I moved to a front seat with a seatbelt.  Then we went forward for ten seconds, then backward for ten seconds.  He tried to go forward again. THE WHOLE BUS JUST SHOOK.  Then he went.  We didn't have to get pulled."

I already had all my sewing planned out for Tuesday when I thought it would be a snow day!!!  I will try again this weekend. 

For my long time blogging friends, here are Kasey, Cole, and Colby at Halloween.  They made their stops at all the "adopted" grandparents before coming to our house.  They are blessed! We are blessed with friends who love our grandkids also! 








4 comments:

Maria said...

I always LOVE the view from your kitchen window Linda.
Pleased everyone was ok and got to school and home safely in the snow..
I enjoyed Kasey's story and the children looked lovely in their Halloween costumes. so nice they have lots of nice special Grandparents..

barbara woods said...

hugs, friend

Stephanie Faris said...

Awww the kids are so adorable. Great costumes! And that snow took my breath away. We're supposed to have 1-2 inches in some areas of middle Tennessee Monday and the news people are freaking out. I think they've already called off schools and people are packing the grocery stores. It's a little funny to watch, since it'll all be melted by noon!

betty said...

Such cute costumes and grandchildren! Oh my gosh with the snow! I can't imagine! Its beautiful though with the pictures!

When we lived in Montana, the schools never closed the 8 years we were there for snow but we never got 16 inches at a time in one storm; highest I remember was 12 inches, then a few days later a few more inches. Their policy was if the busses can't run then school is cancelled and most of the time in those conditions the busses could run. I had heard schools were closed only once in the previous 18 years because it was -20 and the busses wouldn't start. However, we lived in the "big" city and not rural. I'm sure rural would have a different policy.

Those were definitely unsafe conditions you all found yourself in. I can only hope this is not a prodrome of how the rest of the winter will go!

betty