Friday, October 24, 2014

Mentors



I have had two amazing friends as quilting mentors.   Amy of Amy's Passions taught a community education class in our local school that iswhere I immediately became addicted to quilting.  Amy patiently guided me through my first quilt and is always willing to answer my questions.

My other mentor was my longtime friend, Diane.  She was also a paraeducator in my classroom for several years.  She loved quilting.  She would bring in the quilts and projects she created.  One time when showing me one of her quilts, I said I should hire her to make a quilt for me.  She looked at me and said, "Why don't you make it yourself."   She made a wallhanging and  other small quilts for our classroom. One year for my birthday she gave me a beautiful fall table quilt.
Diane lost her five year battle with cancer two weeks ago tonight.  I was honored and privileged to be asked by her family to deliver one of the two eulogies at the Celebration of Diane's Life.   The church was filled.  It was a beautiful tribute to a wonderful lady.

One of our neighbors sang, "I Can Only Imagine." 


Today was a full day of meetings at school.  All schools are required to provide RTI (Response To Intervention) for students.  We do several assessments of all students.  Those who score below the 33rd percentile on two  computerized assessments, below grade level on reading fluency,  reading benchmark is below grade level, and other informal assessment are required to participate in Tier 3 intensive interventions.  We meet in grade level teams to evaluate the students scores and determine the tier of instruction they will receive.  

To make it easier, several of us will bring  snacks to have during the sessions.  This morning I made Crock Pot Pumpkin Spice Latte.  It was DELICIOUS!
Ingredients:
       6 cups of strong coffee
       8 cups of milk
       1 cup of sugar
       1 cup of pumpkin
       2 TBSP vanilla extract
       1 tsp Pumpkin pie spice.

Combine ingredients in a crock pot.  Cook on high for 2 hours.  Enjoy.  I also added three cinnamon sticks while it cooked.  Afterwards I turned it to low for the rest of the day.  Everyone enjoyed it.


Last weekend while DH and DS-1 were combining I was invited by DIL- 1 to go to the local pumpkin patch.  We had a ride through the woods in wagon, watched a pumpkin cannon,  ate carmel apples, and selected pumpkins. 
       


Don't tell anyone--but I am going to try to spend some time sewing this weekend!  It has been too long.

1 comment:

Maria said...

What a beautiful gift you have to remember your dear friend.. What a lovely song..

Such a fabulous day out with your family . Love the little duck..