A couple of days after my last post we received a call from the nursing home where my 97 year old MIL has resided for the past 5 years. Her kidneys had shut down. She was asking for her family. I sent a text to my kids..DIL-2 was able to be there in a few minutes with Tatum and Jessica. Grandma knew her and the kids. By the time our DS-2 arrived she was in considerable pain. DH and I got there she was talking, but incoherent. DS-1, DIL-1, Kasey and Cole all were able to see her.I spent part of the night and left with the nurses telling me they would call. The next day at 1:50 I was sitting beside her holding her hand and talking to her as she took her last breath. DH's brother and his wife have been on a month long trip to New Zealand on vacation. They will be returning the end of this week. The services are scheduled for Sunday evening and Monday. We said our goodbye to her on Sept. 30 and now will have to do it again.
October 3rd was the 31st anniversary of Travis's death. This year we again were day sponsors at the Life 97.3 Christian radio station. A few weeks before Travis was killed he sang during an evening church service the Gaither song, "I Wonder How It Felt." The lyrics of the chorus go:
"I'm just a child, my life is still before me.
I just can't wait to see what God has for me.
But, I know that I will trust Him
and wait to see what life will be for me."
We didn't realized that in a few short weeks we would learn what God's plan for our precious 4 year old would be.
My school year is very busy and challenging. I try to be at school by 6:45 and usually leave about 5:30. I need to plan for the 17 students with disabilities and my three 1/2 para educators. Finally this week my SpEd director and principal have worked it out that I am able to leave my classroom for 30 minutes for lunch. (I had been eating lunch while teaching students.)
One of my new aides has been working with my four fourth grade students reading the book, "Little House in the Big Woods" This novel is read in the general ed 4th grade classrooms with many activities and projects. One of the suggestions in the study guide is for the students to draw scenes from the book to make a quilt. When she asked if I would help with it...How could I say anything but yes!
They each drew a scene from the book and a picture of them if they lived in pioneer days! It felt so good to spend some time quilting.



7 comments:
I'm so sorry for your great loss. It's so hard to lose your loved one, even when they are elderly. And to be so close to the anniversary of Travis' passing. I'll say a prayer for you all.
Love the "Little House" quilt. What a great idea that was!!
My heart goes out to you all at this sad time.
I did have you in my thoughts on Oct 3rd..
What beautiful drawings the students did and the quilt is gorgeous..what a great memory to have.
Your post did bring tears both sad and happy ones.
Hugs
Maria XXX
I am so sorry for your loss , my thoughts will be with you and your family. How special to have been part of this quilt with the children , I loved that book so this is wonderful to me , such a great idea and the children seemed to have enjoyed it as well. hugs Sheila
I didn't know you lost a child. =( I can't even imagine...I don't know how people who don't know Jesus deal with such losses.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Linda! She looked like such a sweet lady.
The students did a great job drawing and what fun to quilt them!
Keeping you all in my prayers during this difficult time.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were there with her. I have been thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers since I read about it on FB.
I'm glad you are participating in the quilt project. It looks like fun. Big hugs for you. As always I wish we lived closer. Take care,my friend.
So much loss , so many challenges, but I bless you and your big heart and your focus on reaching out and sharing and giving! Many blessings for your mother in law knowing that her pain has ceased and she is such a far better place now and so loved and remembered.
Post a Comment