Often I refer to my classroom as "alphabet soup." It the students have a disability with a letter they are in my classroom. I teach in a small Northern Wisconsin School District. We have about 650 students in our school K-12. I teach students with disabilities in grades 3-6 with 18 students on my caseload. I usually work with students who have been diagnosed with SLD( Specific Learning Disability), ADD/ ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), Mild CD (Cognitive Disorder), OHI (Other Health Impaired), and Autistic. Before the district hired an EBD (Emotional Behavior Disorder) teacher. I also worked with EBD students.
 |
| I promised the students Banana Splits when we finished the MAP and Star Reading and Math computerized tests. |
|
A special girl in my classroom is a Student with Downs Syndrome. She has increased her skills leaps and bounds this school year. She has become verbal saying the words, "Good girl, go go go, back pack, crackers, mom, baby, and bike." She learned to ride her trike this year. A full time aide is with her throughout the day.
My 6th grade reading students were doing research on Dinosaurs of the three Mesozoic periods. I used the Smartboard to direct them to a specific website on the laptops. From there they found the information they needed to create posters.
The 7 sixth graders will be moving up to Jr. High in the fall. After working closely with students for four years it is sometimes difficult to let them go. A new group of 3rd graders will be coming over from the primary school to join us.
7 comments:
I really enjoyed this post and the one below it.....I felt like I got a small glimpse into your lovely life. :o)
It was so nice to see your students working in your class.
The children really need beautiful people like you in their lives.
My eldest grandson has always had problems.Only wish he had a loving caring teacher like you when he was at school. Bless you Linda.
I see the eagle....
I'm sure it is very rewarding with the students you work with and the progress they make over the year. My MIL had a heart for special needs kids; I am glad there are teachers like you and her that are willing to work with these precious children!
betty
I don't see how you do it. Taking care of regular kids is a challenge in itself. You have so many special kids that I am amazed you get any teaching done at all. I am so glad there are teachers like you that love doing what they do. I can only imagine how hard it is to see these kids leave but how rewarding it is too. God bless you.
Boy, it takes a special person to work with children that have special needs. It is a very nice thing.
Wow, your header has a eagle in it. You have them where you live?
God Bless you Linda for the work you do!
We have an eagle family on one of our farms too.
Brings back so many memories of teaching my own special needs kids. Your class is much like mine! You get to know the kids inside and out to the point they seem like your own.
Gmama Jane
Post a Comment