Thursday, May 31, 2012

Haying TIme!

 Since we no longer have dairy cows to feed, we don't forage chop  or fill our silos  with our first crop.  This year we cut a couple of fields and round baled it  "green".  That means the hay was not dry when it was baled.  We did that so we were able to get it off the fields sooner.  We brought in a machine that wraps the bales.  The bales will ferment like haylage.  This winter  DH will feed it to the beef cows.

The round bales are hauled home from the fields on the bale wagon.  It carries 10 bales at a time.
The bales are made about 5 1/2  feet tall to be silage wrapped


DH loads them onto the machine that wraps the bale. There is a belt that moves the bales along.
Tonight they wrapped about 100  bales.  They will work at it again on Friday.

The only way I am going to become better at FMQ is to practice.  If you look closely you might be able to see the FMQ   stars and loops on this 10 1/2 in block.  I practiced drawing stars on a piece of paper.  Then looking at the paper I sewed on the block.  I made loops between the stars. 
I hadn't thought of drawing the stars on the square until I was finished!
   

6 comments:

Amy said...

WOW! First crop already?!?! I suppose it makes sense.... it just seems SO early and SO close to the end of the school year.

Maria said...

I enjoy seeing what your DH does on the farm. thanks for showing us.
You are doing well with your FMQ. I have a pen I use to draw on the fabric and when I iron it it disappears. Really good way to go.

I see you will be a Grandma again in Nov. How exciting.Congratulations to all.

Carrie P. said...

I love to see fields with hay bales in them.
good job on your little quilt.

Anonymous said...

I have always found farming so interesting....thanks for sharing what goes on at your house/farm. :o)

Sharon said...

Thank you for showing what goes on at the farm! I love your little quilt with the stars and loops. You did a great job, Linda!

Linda said...

You know I love seeing your farming pictures and I always learn something from you about farming.

Your block looks good. I'm right there with you on the FMQ. Got to practice, practice, practice. A friend of mine was doing stars on her quilt and what she did was make a star that she liked on paper. Punch holes in the paper and use a pouncer to mark her fabric. I have tried this and it works good too...The pouncer is chalk and comes off really good. Have fun with the Free Motion Quilting.