Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Little Potpourri aka A Little Bit of Rambling!

Thanksgiving is over and Advent begins today, I now will officially begin planning for Christmas. A friend on facebook sent this video.  It is fun watching to discover who are the planted singers and who are the persons that joined in the singing!



This morning I did a Children's Story/ Sermon during the worship service as part of the Advent message.  It was a chapter from the book,  "One Wintry Night" by Ruth Graham.  There were about 25  children from ages 4-9 sitting on the platform in front of me.  I was just ready to start the story when one little girl said, "I've got gum."  The congregation started laughing.  I ask her if she would like to take care of the gum and I would wait for her.  She jumped up and ran down the aisle and out the door to throw it away.  I talked with the other kids while she ran back up on the platform. I asked if she was ready and she replied, "Ready." 

Monday night is the second class of the Machine Quilting class I am taking in Rice Lake.  It is based on the book, "Foolproof Machine Quilting." It is different than I had expected-but I did learn new things two weeks ago.  It is sewing using the walking foot around templates that are cut from paper .  There were about 20 women there.  Only a couple have ever used the free motion method of quilting.  They are afraid to try it.  They only do "stitch in the ditch" or take their things to a long arm quilter.  Tomorrow night we take our machines to practice what we were taught last time.

I have many questions regarding information we were given.
1.We were told to use only "high quality thread"  not to use Coats & Clark.  2.  They don't pin at all.  Only use an adhesive spray for basting.  3. Strongly suggested using "Best Press" on all fabrics.  4. Use only 75/11 quilting needle.   I am giving all of their suggestions a try tomorrow night.

I have two  projects that must be completed. Hopefully tonight I will finish the "Charming Girls" Christmas Secret Santa exchange.  It is supposed to be in the mail by Wednesday.

Have a great week,

9 comments:

FlourishingPalms said...

I'm glad you're interested in learning domestic machine quilting. I've been doing it for about ten years now and after much perseverance, can do pretty much whatever I want. It's interesting to note the things you're learning. I'd agree with all of them but the "don't pin at all" bit. I've never liked spray adhesive. Just try finding a place to spray it where it doesn't create stickiness on every nearby surface! Outdoors is the only place it works, and who can do that in the winter?

Maria said...

Pleased you are enjoying your quilting class but I must agree with Linda re pins. I pin all my quilts and have never used spray. Use the method that suits you.

JudyCinNC said...

Hi Linda - Good for you in taking the classes. I have stopped pinning and only use 505 spray - but I also only do small quilts and runners. I dislike DSM quilting so much that I send the large quilts out, when I have the extra money. I took a class with Scott Murkin through guild and he said instead of stitch in the ditch with straight lines, which everyone notices if not exsact, use curvy lines. I use the zig zag stitch and lengthen the size and length and take off just "aiming for the intersections. Quite cute for a change.

I stopped using Coats and Clark since there was so much lint build-up in my machine that it could have caught on fire. I now use Masterpiece, endorsed by Alex Anderson, lot less lint, and for quilting I use King Tut.

scraphappy said...

I will be curious to see how all the quilting tips work out. So often it's a matter of getting everything just right. The idea of using templates seems nice, but I'm having trouble imagining moving the quilt all around to get the walking foot going in the right direction. I hope you are working on a small quilt.

Melanie said...

What a great video!! The people looked so surprised! :)

Amy said...

First, the video.....gosh! Made me smile and cry at the same time; I adore that song.

Second, thank you for sharing the tips that were shared with you; I also disagree with the "no pin" tip. When I did (and still do no smaller projects) quilt on my DSM, I always pinned and simply removed the pins as I came to the area holding a pin. I still use Coats/Clark at times, but oh BOY! Yes, very linty! I used to use Best Press all the time, but it's simply too pricey when you go through a bottle easily at one sitting it prepping two quilt backs, so now I make my own via Crazy Mom's recipe. Finally, on my DSM, the speed is slower so I usually use an all-purpose needle; have never struggled, BUT on my Juki98 that is on my frame....size 16! Size 14's don't seem to handle the speed well and my thread is constantly breaking.

Glad to see you still venturing into your quilting career :0)

Amy said...

What I mean necessarily is.....it's not that I "disagree" with no pinning, it's simply not a tip I would follow ;0)

JudyCinNC said...

What have you been up to Linda - I have missed your posts. I have sent that Flash Mall Food Court link to everyone I know. Thanks for posting that.

WhiteStone said...

My quilty friend in Ohio uses the basting spray...but she applies it in her garage. I, on the other hand, still pin baste, even when quilting on my 1940s Singer 15-91. I've been using Mettler silk-finish 50-3 for years. It is lighter then Coats, hence less stiff when done.

P.S. I love One Wintry Night! It's a wonderful book!