Monday, December 21, 2009

One Penny = 2 hour trip to Children's Hospital

Last night around 7:30 daughter-in-law, Katie called. She said 3 year old Conner had swallowed a penny and was asking what we thought they should do. She said he was crying because his chest hurt. I suggested they call the ER and ask for the doctor's opinion. I left shortly for the 10 minute drive to their home to stay with Tatum. He had an x-ray that showed it was lodged in the esophagus. The ER doctor spoke with Children's Hospital in St. Paul for suggestions. They were sent home with instructions to have him drink plenty of fluids to try to flush it down then to return this morning for another x-ray to see if it had moved. It hadn't changed positions at all. So late morning they headed to the cities to the hospital. We received a text message a few moments ago that the Dr. came out to see them bringing the penny. He said it all went well and they would be able to see Conner shortly. Praise the Lord! It could have been much worse! We are now waiting word as to when they will be home. If it is not too late I hope to run down just to give him a hug and a kiss!

6:00 Update--Just talked with Chad--Conner is still in the recovery room. He is on his third popsicle.
The nurse should be in shortly to remove the IV and then they will be on their way home!  PTL!!!!

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Hello Linda, I came over to your blog by way of Linda Shooks Lindas World. I bet tht penny will have a spot in the family album. Thank God it turned out AOK.

betty said...

oh my, what an experience! I bet Connor will think twice before swallowing anything again. Poor guy though because I know it had to be an experience for him as well as you all

hoping by now he is tucked in his bed and sleeping very contently

betty