Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Farmer's Wife

A few weeks ago Janet from A Hug Delights,  posted this column written by a young farmers wife, Sierra Shea,  from South Dakota.  It is now available as a print or bookmark from Sierra Shea's store.
Being married to a farmer is full of challenges.  One of the challenges is the weather.  This spring was wet and cold.  The planting of corn and soybeans was delayed due to wet fields and then not knowing if the seed would grow because of the cold weather.   Immediately following we went into drought.  We have had very little rain this entire summer. We have watched some of our corn fields and bean fields dry up and die.

Last night when DH was baling hay I took these pictures.  The dirt and dust was rolling out from behind the baler.  The brown part of the field was under water this spring.  Now it is so dry DH cut and baled it for hay to feed the beef cattle. 


I have often thought of writing a book entitled, "What Town Girls Need to Know Before Marrying a Farmer."   I have several chapters outlined in my head such as one on hand signals from the farmer to you when either of you is operating machinery or 10 lessons on how to and not to help chase cattle.


After our emergency trip to the Abbott Heart Hospital last week, DH is doing better.  The local ER doctor had spoken with  his cardiac electrophysiologist when DH's heart rate was 120 pbm.  It had been that way for four or five days.  After another cardioversion he is back in rhythm with another change of heart medication.  We need to monitor his heart rate and blood pressure closely.  The cardiologist told us that each time this is happening it is causing more damage to his heart.  The doctor reminded us that previously he told us that a second ablation may be required.

Take care my friends,



Oh-with my tests, then DH's trip to hospital in Mpls, and school starting I haven't been able to make it to official weigh in.  However, on our home scale I have lost 18 lbs.  WOOHOO!





2 comments:

Linda said...

Hi, Linda. Haven't been able to see your blog for awhile but I'm back online now and can see what's going on. I hope the weather starts treating you better. It's been hot down here in Texas and our grass looks just like yours. We mowed and had to wear masks too so all the dust and dirt wouldn't smother us. Congrats on the weight loss and the new grandbaby. I loved the article and thanks for sharing it. Hugs from Texas!

lil red hen said...

This is my first visit to your blog, and I loved reading about your farm life. I'm also a farmer's wife and consider myself a farmer/housewife.

The last two summers here were very dry and there were several dry weeks this year but we have been able to bale enough hay to get us through. Last year we had to resort to grinding the hay and mixing with grain to make the few bales we had last all winter.

Farm life can be very stressful, but it's all I know really; I'd become a recluse if put into town to live.